Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, March 17, 2013

REVIEW: Kitchen Skin Care

For the past 2 weeks I have been trying out skin care products I made myself with items found in the kitchen. Every few days I changed some of the products. I tried to keep close to my usual routine.
Here is my routine:
First olive oil and steaming towel
Then face mask (once a week)
Exfoliating scrub
Cleanser
Treatment
In the morning I used another cleanser.
 
NOTES:
  • When using these products keep in mind the food items that you are allergic too. Using it on your skin WILL cause a reaction.
  • Leave all items on your skin until it hardens/dries. Then wash off with warm water.
  • If your skin feels tight or dry after using any of these products please DISCONTINUE use.
  • Adhere to product expiration dates! If you are using milk that expires in 2 weeks from the time you make a recipe PLEASE do NOT use it after 2 weeks.
 
Weekly Masks
Banana Mask for Greasy Skin- 1 mashed banana, and 1 tsp. of lemon juice mixed until smooth . Add 1 egg yolk into the mixture. Apply to the face for 15-20 minutes and remove with warm water. Repeat at least twice a week. This mask is supposed to even out your skin tone and lighten your skin. (makes 2/3 uses)
 
-I used this mask and it felt kind of weird when applying because it was slimy and kind of sticky. My skin felt soft after I used this mask. No complaints though. I think I would have had to use it more to hopefully see some results.


 
Papaya and Clay lightening Mask for Oily Skin- Make a paste by mixing thoroughly 2 tsp. of cosmetic clay ( found in health food stores),  2 tsp of papaya pulp.
Clay opens and cleans clogged or blocked pores, detoxifies and brightens skin. Good for normal, combination or oily skin. (makes 2-4 uses)
 
-The original recipe called for 1 tbsp of aloe vera, which I did not have and forgot to get. it also called for 2 TABLEspoons of pulp, but I thought that sounded like too much so I used 2 teaspoons and it turned out great.
I LOVED THIS MASK! but like I said before I love clay masks in general. When I washed off this mask my skin was instantly better!  It was soft and I pores were visible smaller and clear. My skin also felt  moist and looked brighter.
 
Turmeric and Honey Mask for Acne, Oily Skin and Overall Skin Rejuvenation-
1tsp of  milk, 1tsp of honey, tsp of turmeric and mix together in a bowl. ( makes 1 use)
 
-This mask is supposed to be very helpful for oily, acne prone skin. It is also reported to make acne scars less visible. The mask is perfect for overall skin rejuvenation. It might leave your face a little yellow so please use at night or when you have no intentions for leaving the house.
 
This mask was ok. My skin was soft after, but it felt dry. Plus side is I did not have a yellow tint to my skin after using it.
I used it on my sister too and after a while her face felt itchy so she rewashed her face using her normal product.


 
Night Cleanser/Daily Night Mask
Papaya Juice - Juice or puree a papaya (that's it!!)  and apply with cotton balls, cotton rounds or foundation brush. ( any amount of uses, depends on how much papaya you juice/puree)
Papaya contains natural alphahydroxy acids and papain, which is an enzyme exfoliating the skin and giving way to new cell production. Papaya is beneficial for preventative or restorative skin care, helps to heal acne, reduce wrinkles, restore and rejuvenate skin. Papaya plant is loaded with Vitamin A, which accelerates the formation of new skin cells; Vitamin C, which is an anti-oxidant and beta-carotene, which protects the skin and promotes elasticity. In some cases papaya leave juice is even reported to reverse cancer.

-I felt this application worked. It tingled very slightly and wasn't sticky at all. I think the enzymes help to eliminate the excess oil and keep my skin soft and bright.


 
Day Cleanser/Daily Morning Mask
Sweet Pepper Mask-  2 tbsp of red or yellow sweet pepper pulp blend it with 1 egg white, 1 tbsp of no sugar yogurt and 1 tbsp of ground oatmeal. ( should last about a week if used everyday)

-Personally I did not like this mask. It dried my skin out so much that is was thirsty for moisturizer. After using it my face also felt very tight, which is a big NO NO!



Cottage Cheese Mask -  2tsp of low fat cottage cheese  2tsp. of tomato (you can also use strawberry or carrot) juice in a food processor or blender, then stir in a pinch of sea salt, Let it dry for 10 min and apply a second layer. ( should last about a week with daily use)

- I had no issues with this mask other than the time it took up in the morning. To apply the 2 coats and let then dry takes about 20 minutes. That is way too long for morning routine. Otherwise, it left my skin soft and moist and ready my moisturizer and makeup.
I also used the same recipe for a few days but substituted the cheese for yogurt with the same results.


Scrubs
Oatmeal Acne Scrub- 2 tbsp. oatmeal, 1 tbsp. sea salt, 1 egg yolk and 1 tsp. virgin olive oil to the bowl and mix the ingredients with enough warm water to form a smooth, paste-like consistency.  ( about 2 weeks of use)

-I am not sure I mixed this correctly because it wasn't a smooth paste.  It was very thick and hard to apply. I added water while I was applying it to make it easier to use. I honestly did not feel like my face was exfoliated  properly. After 3 days I felt like I wanted/needed to go back to my store bought scrub and on the 4th day I almost did. It  just wasn't enough exfoliation for me. Maybe it will be great for someone needing a VERY gentle exfoliant. On the 5th day I switched to the scrub below.


Natural Face Scrub (also Oatmeal)-1c steel oats, 2 tbsp. yogurt, 1tbsp. lemon juice, 1tbsp. sea salt, 2 tbsp. cornmeal. (makes enough to last 2 weeks)

- I loved this scrub! It was a little more gentle than my normal scrub, but it gets the job done and saves me money in the process! I would whip this recipe up in a second if I ran out of my usual scrub. I'll probably be using this until it runs out.


Treatments
Parsley - Fight Acne, Dark Spots and Skin Discoloration . I ground up an entire bunch of parsley in a food processor and added 1 tbsp. of lemon juice. I stored it in a baggie with cotton rounds. I used the rounds to apply the treatment.

- Do I think this worked? I am not entirely sure it worked on it's own, but it helped. I think combined with the olive oil treatment (which I'll talk about next) and a good exfoliant, the dark spots don't stand a chance. In a pinch would I use parsley on my face?...YES!



Olive oil- Oil on already oily skin?! FOR SHAME! BUT it works. I used cotton rounds (and sometimes my fingers) to apply the oil. Then I steamed a towel (wet a towel and put it in the microwave for 30seconds) and placed it on the affected areas until cool. Then I used the same towel to wipe the rest of the oil off.

-I like this treatment! The oil removed the makeup I missed, moisturized my skin and this process loosens dark marks on skin! Doing it everyday is a lot for my schedule so I figure I will continue this treatment but maybe cut it to once or twice a week.


These recipes I used are for my skin type, Oily with Dark spots. You can find additional masks and treatments for you skin type on ehow.com (like I did) or at all for skin beauty.  But, here are some tips.
-uncoated aspirin mixed with a little bit of water fight pimples and acne.
-baking soda and water also fight acne and if necessary add PLAIN white toothpaste to the mix.
-mint leaves OR apple cider vinegar are also acne treatments
-aloe vera, vitamin e and avocado help moisturize skin.
-egg whites help brighten skin and also help with dark spots.
-pureed apples combined with lemon juice help prevent wrinkles.
-cucumber, honey and vitamin e can be a treatment to add moisture to dry skin.



 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment