Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, January 13, 2014

MAKEUP BRUSHES: Which brushes are the essential brushes?

     What brushes are a MUST have for any makeup application? This might be hard to answer being that everyone uses the different brushes for different things, even their unintended purposes. I do it too, it's not a crime! If it works for you, do it!
     Below is a list of MUST HAVE brushes for makeup application. I'll get into brands and reviews throughout the month on each brush type.

1- The 'fluffy' Powder Brush
This brush is used for powder foundation application. I like fluffy big brushes! I feel like they cover more area in a shorter amount of time and provide a lighter application.
The powder brush is essential because you use it to apply powder to set you liquid or cream foundation. You can also use it to apply bronzer.


2-The Eyeshadow Brush
Of course you use this to apply eyeshadow. BUT, there are different eye shadow brushes I like to use.
I like "C" shaped brushes with a fluffier tip if I'm applying shadow to my entire lid. These type of brushes usually hold a lot of powder and cover the area quickly and evenly. You can even feather the eyeshadow or blend colors using this type of brush.
There are other types of shadow brushes, like the "squared" tip. In my opinion these brushes aren't good for blending. They can apply shadow, but you would need a blending brush to aid in your application.
*TIP* I usually have at least 2 eyeshadow brushes on hand to use.

3-The Blush Brush
I think the blush brush is essential ONLY if you wear blush/bronzer. You could use your powder brush, but you would have to clean it between uses. People have their favorite shape of blush brush.
Angled- can be used for contouring as well
Round- typical type of brush. the roundness mimics the roundness of the cheeks. May be easier to manipulate for beginners.
Pointed (Arrow)-can also be used for contouring. This is my personal favorite. It's versatile and can mimic a angled or round brush.

 
4-The Concealer Brush
Again, self explanatory. Not everyone use concealer, but it's still an essential brush.
The concealer brush can not only be used for concealer, but for color corrector, eye primer and cream eyeshadow.

5. A Brow Brush
ANY type of brow brush will do!
For powder or gel application, use a small angled brush.
(this brush can also be used to for gel or cake liner)
For pencil application, a spoolie brush is great.
For general grooming a regular brow brush/comb combo tool will be just fine!

If you are looking to more BEYOND the basics, try these...
Lip brush- for even application and creating fun looks, by mixing colors or an ombre effect.
Blending brush-used in conjunction with your eyeshadow brush to blend colors together. I also use the brush to add a highlight color underneath my brows.
Contour brush-I use different sizes for different purposes. A small angled one can be used on the nose (you can also use an blending brush).
A larger angled or oval tip contour brush is used to contour the rest of the face.
Stipple brush-I LOVE this brush! It's a person FAVORITE! I use it to apply liquid foundation and sometimes even blend it. It aids in a light, even application.
Liner Brush-For gel, or cake liner application.
Foundation brush-used for cream or cream to powder foundation.
Fan Brush- Honestly, I use to think this brush was a waste. It came in every brush set I own. I keep a couple in my kit to cleanup eyeshadow fallout on the cheeks. Recently, I used it to contour my nose. It worked out very well!


No comments:

Post a Comment