Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Color Corrector Review and Cheat Sheet

Color Corrector is usually a mystery. It's scary to some people because who in their right mind wants to put blue, red, lavender, yellow or green on their skin?  I am about to give you a crash course in color correction.

Blue/Green can be used interchangeably. These colors both counteract red spots. Which color you use on your skin all depends on you skin tone. If you have a fairer skin tone, the green would be better because it's usually pastel and lighter in intensity. If you have an olive, medium or darker skin tone blue would be ideal because of the heavier color intensity.

Lavender is used to cover green. Usually veins on fairer skin tones.

Yellow is used to brighten dull skin complexions and on complexions with more yellow undertones can cover dark circles.

Red/Salmon/Pink are also used interchangeably. These colors cover dark spots/ areas. Once again the color you pick depends on your skin tone. Fairer complexions would use the pink, medium/olive ( sometimes darker) complexions would use salmon and medium, med. deep and darker ( sometimes olive) complexions use the red.

ALL OF THE CORRECTORS MUST BE COVERED WITH CONCEALER

You may be asking yourself, why can't I just use concealer? You can, but you will still probably see the discoloration showing through. Using the color corrector is the first step in creating a flawless face. In addition, you would use less concealer on the problem areas, eliminating the cakeyness and heaviness of the makeup in areas where we already have problems. For example, most of us have darker under eye circles and a heavy makeup application in this area will just me use look older.

So now you're asking, how much MORE time is this adding to my current makeup regimen?
Only a few seconds and I usually apply it with my fingers.

Now for the review.

I used the red corrector for my dark acne scars and the darker area by the inner corner of my eyes. You only need a tiny bit of an corrector you use.
Here are the 2 I have tried

Deep Brown Corrector by Makeup Designory (MUD) $18- When I saw this used I knew it was for me! The color is very concentrated, it resembles more of a red orange lipstick. By using a tiny bit, it neutralizes the discolorations. I use it almost everyday. Since it's a cream it's easy to apply and blend into the skin and covers effortlessly. Even when I blend my concealer there aren't any remnants of the red showing through. MUD makes great quality makeup and this tiny pot should last a long time.

Red Corrector by Coastal Scents $3.95- I bought this as a test to see if it was actually as good as the MUD product, even though it is a liquid. The liquid can be hard to navigate because you have to blend it in more and it's harder to control than a cream. Overall it works the same as the MUD product be neutralizing my spots. I let the product set for about a minute before I apply my concealer. Because of it's consistency I don't want it moving around into other areas and making my entire face too red. The red does spread around a little bit, but I control that my using separate sponge applicators for my concealer and foundation.







I think if the Coastal Scents corrector was a cream it would be just perfect. The MUD corrector is great and I think it stands out because of it's consistency. If your are looking for other color correctors. Coastal Scents has a color corrector palette (does not include red) for about $5. NYX has pots of color correctors for about $6 each. They do not make a red, but they do make a salmon.

If you have any questions, please email me! I'll be happy to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment