Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Weekly Review: Oil Controllers

     Before I start I'd like to invite you guys to check out my Instagram: aprilmaykup.
I just started posting pics this afternoon, but there should be new ones everyday!
Check me out! Follow me!
     Now your review. There are so many oil controlling/ mattifying/ oil eliminating products out there, in so many different forms. I tried cleansers, masks, medicine,  moisturizer, wipes and setting spray.  I rated them based on ease of use, price and if they actual eliminate or calm the oil production on my face.
     First let me say that with all these products my nose was the first thing to get shiny. Nothing I tried really calmed the oil production there.

Neutrogena Deep Clean Long Lasting Shine Control $8 (drugstores, target. walmart)- This is a cleanser and a mask. I used to use it as a mask once a week and sometimes as a cleanser. With this product it's necessary to use for a while to get the desired shine control. When I was using it once a week, I noticed that the first morning was great control, but by then end of the week I was back to my oily self. When I used it as a mask I leave it on for 10 minutes then rinse. As I cleanser I just massage it in for about 1 minute, then rinse. Does it work? If I had to use just 1 oil control cleanser , I'd pick this. As a daily cleanser it gives you a matte base to start with, but not dry. It also contains microbeads, which provides exfoliation. For me, exfoliation helps with controlling oil.  This use to be my only form of defense against oil. I would stick with it and add it back into my routine as needed.

Lumene Matt Touch Deep Cleansing Peat Mask $12 (drugstores)- First of all this stuff smells. It looks like baby poop...SORRY just being honest. It's supposed to absorb oil and tighten pores. I like it as just a mask (once I get over the small and look of it) I didn't notice any difference with the oil on my face, but maybe it's one of those products you have to used overtime. As a mask it's great! My skin feels soft, clean and not dry. I would like to test it for a few more weeks to be absolutely sure it's not an oil controlling dud! Honestly, for the price I would rather stick with my old favorite, the Neutrogena. If I did not get this product for more than 50% off I would have never bought it. It am willing to give it more of a chance because Lumene makes some VERY AWESOME products!



Olay Fresh Effect Shine Minimizer $6 (drugstores)- I did not like this product. It is shine minimizing, which I took as a 'oil controller.' It controlled the oil from coming out on the surface, but when I got home I have so many pimples. They were small, but they had literally popped up throughout the day, trapping that gross oil underneath my skin. It was disgusting. I was still oily too! When I washed my face that night, I was doing damage control on my skin.








Simple Oil Balancing Cleansing Wipes $6 (drugstores, target, walmart)- I used these in the morning instead of washing my face as normal...and I must say WOW! I don't really know a lot about Simple. I've only used 1 cleanser 1 time. I love these though. I wasn't oily, well only in my nose area, which wasn't affected by any product I tried. These are a great quick fix! No water is needed, so you can use these anywhere/anytime. I'd buy these wipes again and again! I looked slightly dewy, but not shiny.




Bentaberry G-1 Face Cream $22 (birchbox.com)- This cream is thick and soft. It's moisturizing. It smells medicinal, but it doesn't work as a matiffying product. It immediately leaves the skin with a matte finish, but that's where it ends. In a couple hours my skin was it's normal oily self.









Urban Decay De-slick Setting Spray$14-$29 (Sephora.com)- I definitely had to read the directions a couple times to get this right. You have to spray this before and after you put your makeup on. It worked great! that's probably why it's so expensive. I wore my makeup for almost 12 hour that day and I wasn't oily until the last couple hours, when the party was over and I was on my way home. I am struggling with the price to value ratio of this product.  I do like this though...I'm only holding from saying  'love' for the price.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Milk of Magnesia $2.50 (family dollar, drugstores)- When I used this, I didn't think it would work. I had a TINY bit of secret faith, because I know the product dries chalky and matte. I had no idea how to apply it so I used a cotton round, which didn't work well, so I used my fingers. I let it dry, which took a couple minutes. Then I applied my makeup. I was surprised I didn't have a white face, chalky, cracked face. My skin was still soft and pliable, but matte. I was VERY surprised that this worked! I would use it again and again. I would have been using it everyday if I didn't have other products to test. This lasts about 8 hours and again on my nose, nothing worked.
 
This was an interesting challenge. I also found it informative because I need oil controlling, especially in the summer time. The round up of everything is I would use and oil controlling cleanser like the Neutrogena or the simple wipes, then a 'treatment' like the milk of magnesia...and if I had an endless supply of cash, the Urban Decay spray. Yes the Urban Decay spray is an AWESOME product, but you do need up to 8 sprays for each make up application. If you're using it everyday, the cost does add up fast. I would use the milk of magnesia everyday. You need such a tiny bit that the bottle will last a long time! Also incorporate an oil cleanser, if you're trying to really combat oil.
     It's a process to combat oily skin and over time, with the use of cleansers and treatments you would reduce the amount of oil your face produces.  
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment