Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, March 8, 2014

WEEKLY REVIEW: Exfoliants

     Exfoliants...what do we do with them? When and how do we use them? It's sad to say, but if you don't know a little about them now, it is about to get a little harder, at least in New York. New York is seeking to ban products that include micro beads, specifically for environmental issues. The micro beads are plastic and not biodegradable. Besides micro beads, there are other exfoliating products available for all different skin types.                
     Personally, I prefer a natural exfoliant, even though I heard that the micro beads are better for your skin. I like as many natural products on my face as possible, with the least amount of chemicals and additives. 
     Exfoliants usually come in scrub form, but a peel is also acceptable. Common scrubs usually include micro beads, apricot or walnut shells, sea salt, sugar or rice granules. Peels are usually enzymatic and use some kind of fruit, tomatoes, green apple, mango or lemon, any fruit with acid really. We will only be reviewing scrubs in this review, I'll save the peel review for another day.
     Why do we need exfoliants? We need exfoliants to whisk away dead skin cells. Exfoliating leaves skin smoother, brighter and can help minimizer the appearance of acne and acne scars.
     How often should you exfoliate? Instructions are usually provided on the product packaging. Ideally you should be exfoliating AT LEAST once a week. It would be a good idea to do this on the same day you do your at home mask.
     It is possible to exfoliate everyday, I need too. For me the frequent exfoliation helped control the oil production on my face. I tried a few methods of exfoliation which I will review below.

EXFOLIATING CREAMS:
St. Ives Apricot Scrub $4.49 (drugstores, beauty supply stores)-I use to use this as my everyday scrub. I've heard a lot of bashing toward this product because of the natural ingredients. The gritty scrub property (the apricot /walnut shells) supposedly rip and tear skin. This is only a problem if you have areas on you skin that are peeling or irritated. Natural scrubs get a BOO HOO, in general because the irregular shape of the grains usually creates the tearing I mentioned above. The best way to decide if a product like this is for you is to test it and of course know your skin. I know my skin can handle the scrubbing and I have never had any tearing.
     Back to the review, it's good for exfoliating. Especially if you're a novice or don't exfoliate often. I have graduated from this product, but before that I've used it for years and still use it when I run out of my new product.

Derma E Microdermabasion Scrub $20-$30 (ulta, vitacost)-This is my new favorite!! I use this at least 3 times a week. It definitely does the trick! Skin feels smoother and is noticeably brighter. The Derma E also helps with diminishing my dark spots. Not on it's own , but combined with products designed to get rid of dark spots. This scrub contain rice granules with are more rounded in shape than the apricot scrub granules. Plus the granules are smaller. These things would minimize the tearing of skin cells.

EXFOLIATING PADS:

Radical Age Defying Exfoliating Pads $65 (Sephora)-I like exfoliating pads/cloths. Pads come pre-motioned with and they're not messy. Pads/cloths are usually textured so you don't have to worry about the using too much pressure when exfoliating.  I think they are great for travel and one the go use, which of course translates into quick easy everyday at home use. The Radical pads not only gently exfoliate, but they contain and age defying treatment and helps skin retain it's natural moisture. After using the Radical pads, my skin felt soft and moisturized. Since I have oily skin, I did not need to use a night moisturizer as part of my daily routine. If you have normal to dry skin, you might need a moisturizer so don't toss it yet! Maybe after a few uses you will be able to nix the it. For oily and combination skin you can give your  moisturizer a rest.
     The Radical pads should be used after you cleanse. They greatly diminish the time you on your nightly routine. You exfoliate, moisturize and treat all  in one quick step! Also with the pad you can make sure you get every inch of your face without missing a spot, and even if you do miss anything, you can easily give you face a second swipe over.
     The pads are a gentle exfoliant, which makes them perfect for sensitive skin and everyday use. Also, it's impossible to over exfoliate you skin or scrub to abrasively. With the Radical pads you don't have to worry about the tearing associated with scrubs.

ELF Makeup Remover Exfoliating Cleansing Cloths $3 (eyeslipsface.com)- I believe these  cloths have such a long name because ELF does not know what to do with them. I used them as a makeup remover and they were just too rough, especially around the eye area. You don't need exfoliating cloths to remove makeup. I tried them as a cleansing cloth when I was too lazy to wash my face at night. I feel like that is a much better use for them, although I didn't entirely feel like my face was clean. Maybe they'll be better used after cleansing and before application of any treatment or moisturizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment