Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Review: Lipstick ( Part 1)

     I know, I know, I'm late with the review, BUT I made it! I had a lot of stuff going on this week. My biggest project being a yard sale. If you ever had one, you know how crazy it is. So far we sold a few things, but I'm hopeful at least half of this stuff will be gone by tonite!
     Anyway on to the review- This review is only on regular lipstick (mineral/moisture rich/ high gloss). I will review matte and lip tints/stains in a separate review. Also this is only part 1 of the review. I have so many different brands (and still want a couple more) that I had to break this review into sections as to not bore you, or confuse you with a 25 lipstick review.


Covergirl Queen Collection $7 (local drugstore/ Target)- The color I chose was "burgundelicious."I love this color! The lipstick is moisturizing, pigmented and lasts a long time! I use this color and it's actually my mom's go to color.  For the price I think this is a great lipstick. It's the same quality as the regular Covergirl lipstick ( I recommend "spellbound") The range of colors is also amazing!


N.Y.C. $1 (local drugstores)- Sheer color, smooth, provide a shiny finish/ semi moisturizing. Staying power is ok considering the price a couple hours maybe. Even if the color wears off the moisture stays. Maybe the lipsticks would stay on longer and show up better with a primer underneath. ( guess I'll test this theory soon)

E.L.F $1 (eyeslipsface.com)-This lipstick is kind of weird. It's pigmented and goes on smooth but the texture of the actual lipstick look bumpy,almost like sand. I guess that's the glitter inside the lipstick. Not matte, but definitly not shiny. Not very moisturizing.




E.L.F Mineral lipstick $3 (eyeslipsface.com)- Goes on soft and smooth. Rich color. Lasts about 3
hours. Got lots of compliments on the color (cheerful cherry). Needed to reapply the lipstick and chapstick throughout the day.



Mirabella $26 (birchbox.com)- Moisturizing.
Very sheer, but still adds a touch of color.
Has shine all the time!







Ulta Lipstick $8 (ulta.com)- VERY SOFT, silky, not 100% pigment, but you still get a nice color,
moisturizing. Slight shine. No need for lip balm/chapstick. Because of the softness, I would recommend using a brush to apply it and I would also recommend NOT carrying this lipstick around on hot days, it will melt quickly.



Rimmel $6 (local drugstores)- IMMENSE staying power. I only applied it ONCE!! It still held up through eating and drinking. Lasted about 6 hours w/o reapplying. Moisturizing, pigmented. Compared to other lines, there aren't a lot of color choices, but you will find a red for every skin tone.

Maybelline Wetshine $7- (local drugstores)
Slick, shiny, creamy, moisturizing.
Nice range of metallic color.
Light colors do not last as long as the dark colors.







NYX $3 (beauty supply stores)- At Ulta and the NYX website this lipstick can be about $6.
Oily, slick, nice colors with alright staying power, but 2 coats are needed to insure you get the deep, rich color you signed up for. Like the color I tested "bruised" I hat to blot after the first coat and reapply to get the color in the tube.

Too Faced $21- (ulta.com & toofaced.com ) Thick, shiny, stays on a LONG time, creamy, iridescent. If the color fades the sparkly shininess is still there.




I judged these lipsticks based on:
moisture
staying power
affordability
pigmentation
color choices
EXTRAS things I considered were shininess and texture.

     The 'winner' of this series of getting A's in all the catergories would be Covergirl. It only beats out Rimmel because of the vast color choices. After trying the Mirabella and Too Faced lipsticks, I'm kind of glad I didn't pay for them ( one was a gift and the other was in my birchbox). For the price the price of these lipsticks I expected them to the standouts.
The ELF studio lipstick was also good if you're looking for an even cheaper alternative, but once again you're limited by color choices.
     NYX, Ulta and ELF $1 lipsticks seem to have the same problem. The color and texture intensity changes based on the color of the lipstick. With ELF the "sociable" (which I used for this review) was sandy, but the coral color was soft, smooth, but less pigmented. With NYX the dark color "bruised" needed 2 coats to look pigmented and even. The texture was also oily while the coral I tried for NYX was more pigmented and creamy. It was a similar story with Ulta the color I tested was creamy, but I bought another darker color that was more sheer and slick.

No comments:

Post a Comment