Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Weekly Review- Powder Blush

     I have met quite a few people, that when I mention the word "blush", they mention their disdain for the product. Why?! I love blush! I imagine that these people have had bad experiences or have seen terrible examples of it's application. Many people imagine a clown like appearance or just two oddly placed pink circles on the face.

     I love blush because it adds LIFE to the face, especially after applying any type of foundation or bb cream. After a base application I feel the face looks flat and unnatural so the RIGHT color blush will add a natural look, a youthful appearance or help sculpt features.
    
     The right color is important. Too light of a color on dark skin and you will not see the color and the powder could make the cheeks look ashy. Too dark of a color on light skin looks like someone punched you in the face. I prefer natural colors of blush as opposed to fashion colors. A purple/lavender plush could look great, but personally I'd only use it on someone with purple in their skin tone or people with darker complexions.

here are my recommendations.
fair/light complexions-light pinks, light peaches. For drama maybe very light lavenders with lots of pink in them.
olive/medium/tan complexions-mauves, medium pinks, deep corals.  For people, like myself , with very warm undertones, orangey browns work as well.
dark/deep complexions- burgundy, orangey golds, deep reds, deep mauves.

     Application is also important.  Not everyone could pull off blush right on the apples of the cheeks, which is usually a common mistake. Older people should wear blush higher up on the face, right on the cheek bone. Blush worn to far down could visually drag down the face. This also works for people with chubbier faces. Applying blush this way defines cheek bones and also slims the face, especially when used with contour marks.
Blush applied high on the cheeks in a sharp line is more for fashion. It's used to sculpt the face. Applying blush on the apples of the cheeks provides a youthful appearance and pop of color. DON'T FORGET TO BLEND! Blending is the most helpful tool in your makeup kit.

Now for the review!
     I took a picture of each blush, but the pictures do not do the colors justice. I also provided a pic of swatch of the color on my arm. I only swiped the color once using my finger. For a more intense color, the blush can be layered using multiple applications of the same color or by mixing colors.

 Bombshell, $26, Beach Please-caution! Use lightly. This color was bright, deep and pigmented, I didn't need much. Lasts all day. Goes on smooth, blendable and easily layered (even though you don't need to layer it)







e.l.f ,$3, Marvelous Mauve-goes on very sheer. Not as pigmented as the others, but can be easily layered. Very good product for blush beginners, only because beginners usually use more product than normal (I know from experience.) This color shown. is my go to color. I usually apply about 3 layers for a natural look. It's good for the price, but there are other products shown here that are an even BETTER deal!






NYX, $6, Silky Rose -
a little goes a long way, I did not expect that. It lasts the entire day. It was VERY blendable, with no fallout. Might become my new everyday blush. It's a great value!




Physicians Formula, $14, Natural-the most natural looking blush, I think it's b/c of the variety of colors layered in the one compact. Smooth, blends great. I was not a fan of the slight shimmer.
In the pic the top color is 1 color swatched from a big heart shaped portion of the blush. The bottom swatch is all the colors swirled together.






Sleek, $12.49 for a trio, $6 for a single, Pumpkin-UNBELIEVABLY pigmented! Please use this carefully. I dug right in and spent 10 mins. trying to correct my mistake. In the trio set each color can be worn alone or layered on top of each other. No fall out, soft, no mess whatsoever! Comes in great colors! Especially for the price and quality this blush is highly recommended. It's just as good as the bombshell blush at a fraction of the price. Even purchasing a trio is a great deal.

 





 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment